There is widespread acknowledgement that our healthcare system needs radical transformation since:
- All patients “…are at risk for receiving poor health care, no matter where they live; why, where and from whom they seek care; or what their race, gender, or financial status is”
- Healthcare is increasingly more expensive and less accessible, with more than 46 million uninsured in the
from every age group and at every income level, 8 out of 10 being in working families U.S.
- There is a “knowledge gap”—the healthcare community is drowning in oceans of information, yet doesn't know the best ways to prevent health problems and treat them cost-effectively.
- Knew the best ways to prevent illness, to avoid complications of chronic diseases, and to treat health problems in the most effective and efficient manner
- Used this knowledge to promote wellness, self-management, and recovery
- Participated in evolving this knowledge to make it ever-more useful and effective.