In this post, I propose the development of a Personal Health Application (PHA). It is a next generation consumer-centric information system that helps improve healthcare delivery, self-management and wellness by providing clear and complete information, which increases understanding, competence and awareness.
- Incorporate sick-care data currently found in Electronic Health Records (EHRs) used by healthcare providers and Personal Health Records (PHRs), and add well-care data focusing on prevention, self-management, and emotional well-being
- Give a high-definition, big picture, whole-person view of a person's physiological & psychological risk factors, current health, health trends, and projected health status.
- Reveal the interventions that are effective for an individual by integrating and analyzing a lifetime of data about health status & quality of life, conventional and complementary & alternative medicine (CAM) treatments received, and the clinical outcomes of that care.
- Enable the exchange of patient data with providers' EHRs, as well as obtaining data directly from lab, pharmacy or hospital systems.
Furthermore, PHRs do little to inform a person about treatment efficacy and the value of CAM approaches. PHAs, on the other hand, would provide this information by collecting and analyzing a lifetime of detailed health data to show what works for the person and what doesn't.
PHAs also bridge well-care and sick-care:
- Sick-care focuses on the treatment of diagnosed physical & psychological problems
- Well-care focuses on preventing serious illnesses and complications, and increasing people's well-being and quality of life through self-management and healthy lifestyles.
- Be helpful and proactive in managing their health, rather than passive and reactive.
- Make wise decisions when agreeing to specific treatment options and living health lifestyles
- Carry out strategies for remaining healthy longer
- Comply with plans of care when ill to speed recovery, avoid complications, and achieve the best possible quality of life
- Deal effectively with personal problems and life stressor to maximize one's overall well-being.